Saturday, February 27, 2016

News for the week of February 22, 2016

Bailly Elementary! 

Wow, what a week! I hope you all enjoyed your snow days! It was sweet to see my kiddos in the hallway on Friday morning asking if they could still come down to see me for math! I love those Bailly Learners!

I enjoyed meeting many of the Bailly parents last night at the Willy Wonka Night! It was so much fun! My hat is off to the Bailly PTO and Duneland staff for your hard work, great job! My family had a super time eating pizza, the chocolate fountain treats (oh my!) and all those games! Did you see that silly Willy walking around with his big top hat?!


Congrats to the kids who brought in the answer to this weeks riddle: moon!

This has riddle has become SO popular that I've run out of treats! I'll have to pick up some new prizes this weekend! IMPORTANT: Next week if they would like to receive the prize, they must bring in the answer written on paper from home! We've had a few sneaky kiddos sharing the riddle and answer right before class! 



This weeks riddle:
What kind of bow can't be tied?


CogAT Testing for HA

This week I gave the full screening to kindergarten students for High Ability Services for the 2016-2017 school year. Starting March 1st, I will be screening all of second grade for High Ability Services for the 2016-2017 school year, I will miss my 1st and 3rd graders on Wed. 3/2.  

Mrs. Jarka and Holly Koedyker from LES are attending a workshop on High Ability Identification in April, along with a representatives from each building in Duneland. (LIS, WIS, CMS and CHS) They look to gain a lot more valuable information for narrowing in our high ability identification.  Students will now be monitored at the end of each school year which is new.  Next year there will be new students added, many will remain and some will be removed.  It's pretty common, at this age, to have the flow "in and out" of a gifted program.  I'm excited about the continuing progress of our high ability services.  Not only is Duneland's High Ability identification becoming more spot on, but the new curriculum is geared towards meeting the needs of gifted children.  We've also just purchased a new math curriculum that we'll be using at each grade level next year.  I'm so very excited about the future of our program!

First Grade Math:

No classes due to our snow days! I'll see you guys on Thursday next week to finish up our clock & time lesson! 


First Grade LA:

This week Emmersynn worked on the Linking Letters lesson . She read the book The Boy Who Loved Words and solved a Polybius Cipher. I also introduced Portmanteau words and send home a homework worksheet so we can create a word cloud next week. I can't wait to see what she puts down!  


 



Second Grade Math:

No classes due to our snow days! I'll see you guys on Wednesday next week to finish up our Magic Hexagon lesson!

Second Grade LA:

This week we finished up reading The Velveteen Rabbit and made a Venn diagram comparing with Edward Tulane. We also watched a quick Velveteen Rabbit movie. Next week we will begin a metaphor lesson.


Happy Birthday Zach!





Third Grade Math:

We missed this week because of the snow days and we will miss next week because of testing. I'll see you guys soon, we'll work on our timed multiplication test and begin a new percent pack!

  
Third Grade LA:

This week we picked out nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs from The Mouse and the Lion. Then we made a Venn diagram comparing other two fables. It was nice to see how well they worked as a team and cheered one another on when they came up to write down their ideas. Next week we will begin fairy tales and have a little fun since it will be right after iStep testing! 




Fourth Grade Math:

We missed this week because of the snow days. I'll see you guys next week, don't forget to bring in your signed forms for your role reversal lesson!

Fourth Grade LA

We began our presentations! The kids seemed a little uncomfortable having their presentations video taped for the Blog so we agreed that taking a picture would be OK too. On Monday Riona did her presentation about Albert Einstein and Logan skipped ahead of day to do his presentation on Roald Dahl. On Tuesday Luke gave his presentation on Peyton Manning and Michael on JFK. I'm really proud of these kids, they've worked very hard on each step of the project for weeks! Their hard work really showed! 




Next week we will finish up. Please encourage your child to practice at home too!   


Olivia 2/29
Ira 2/29
David 2/29

#ALLSTARS
Thank you to this weeks #AllStars! Kids get a star if I catch them doing something Extraordinary! 


1st grade Emmersynn!

4th grade Luke! 
























Who's the LEADER of the club
That's made for you and me?

Hey 3rd grade!
Meet the this weeks Mouse-kateers!
Amadeo & Natalie
Each week I'll be picking two kids who
show leadership in class. They get wear the lucky
Mickey Mouse Club lanyards down to my class for
a special lunch and fun in the classroom!
Great work kids! 

The Mickey Mouse Club title screen.jpg