Friday, February 19, 2016

News for the week of February 15, 2016

Bailly Elementary! 

Congrats to the kids who brought in the answer to this weeks riddle: age!

It came to my attention that I did not have email addresses for many of the high ability families so I sent home a note to confirm the email addresses so we can stay connected! Please send that in if you if you haven't already. I'm working with Bailly IT to get the blog reminder updated with all the email addresses that have been sent in! Thanks so much for your patience while we work through this glitch! 



This weeks riddle:

It’s been around for millions of years, but it’s no more than a month old.
What is it?




  • The Life Skill of the Week was Caring.
  • The Word of the Week was Courage.
  • The Quote of the Week was "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you will land among the stars" by N.V. Brown  picked by Olivia C.- 4th grade

CogAT Testing for HA

Next week I'll be giving the full screening to kindergarten students for High Ability Services for the 2016-2017 school year. I'm still doing my best to still see my first graders.  Starting March 1st, I will be screening all of second grade for High Ability Services for the 2016-2017 school year, so flexible scheduling will continue . . . 

First Grade Math:

What do I LOVE about 1st grade math? These girls are SO much fun, they've dubbed themselves the "The Swifty Girls Math Club". This week we watched a movie about time/clocks and worked on a new time/clock packet with little clocks to practice on! We finish up the time lesson next week!




First Grade LA:

 What do I LOVE about 1st grade LA? Emmersyn is the sweetest little girl I work with! She skips down to the HA room telling me all of her stories about Disney on Ice and gets excited about every lesson! This week Emmersynn and I got only got to meet one day. We read a book about hieroglyphics and she completed her time line. 



Second Grade Math:

What do I LOVE about 2nd grade math? These kids run into my class (literally after specials) ready to learn math! We finished up our packet called "Pascal's Triangles".  It's showing them a number pattern in the form of a triangle. We also worked on Magic Triangles, it was fun to hear them cheer when they figured them out, it was a little harder! If they finished early, we started the new packet called "Magic Hexagons". We'll work on that next week too!

 

  
Second Grade LA:

What do I LOVE about 2nd grade LA? They can't wait to take turns reading a chapter and they are great about giving compliments to their friends after they've taken a turn. This week I only got to met with them once. We began reading The Velveteen Rabbit. Next week we will continue and create a Venn diagram with Edward Tulane.



Third Grade Math:

What do I LOVE about 3rd grade math? These kids work really hard, every single week! We started off by taking another Multiplication Sweet timed test. We finished up our packet about logic so we got the treat of playing "Around the World". Ask your kids about the crazy jumping out answers and using the force and Jedi mind tricks on me! We also got the treat of working on Sumdog with laptops! It was a real hit! Please encourage the kids to log on at home too if possible! (click on the link below) Next week we will begin a percent packet! Also, look for details about the 3rd grade Mickey Mouse Club I've started for them below!
Click here to go to Sumdog!


Look at those perfect angels with laptops! LOVE!
  
Third Grade LA:

What do I LOVE about 3rd grade LA? These kids make me laugh! They are so much fun, so for them I've created "The Mickey Mouse Club", please read below for details! This week I only got to see them once so we finished up a lesson about Fables.  Karalena read Jay and the Peacock to the class and wrote about it in the journalsNext week we will talk about Fables and look deeper into adjectives and adverbs. 



Fourth Grade Math:

What do I LOVE about 4th grade math? These kids come to class 15 minutes early each day and collectively whine when the iPad gives us our 5 minute warning. I tell them all the time, I'd keep them all day if I could! We worked on our new lesson called "Role Reversal". The kids are creating a lesson plan to teach their peers. I sent home a form for you for you to sign so you know if they have big plans that might require your help! Please send those back on Wednesday! They are coming up with some great ideas!



Fourth Grade LA

What do I LOVE about 4th grade LA? They are also 15 minutes early to class everyday and don't like to hear the iPad ring the 5 minute warning! I only go to see them once this week. Next week they begin presenting their biography projects! They should try to dress the part or bring a prop if possible! Please encourage your child to practice at home too!   

Luke 2/22
Olivia 2/29
Riona 2/22
Ira 2/29
David 2/29
Logan 2/23
Michael 2/23




#ALLSTARS
Thank you to this weeks #AllStars! Kids get a star if I catch them doing something Extraordinary! 
LOVE IT!

Ria

Sam

Nick

Jany

Who's the LEADER of the club
That's made for you and me?

Hey 3rd grade!
Meet the first Mouse-kateers!

Each week I'll be picking two kids who
show leadership in class. They get wear the lucky
Mickey Mouse Club lanyards down to my class for
a special lunch and fun in the classroom!
Great work girls! 

Alaina & Emma
The Mickey Mouse Club title screen.jpg