Friday, January 29, 2016

News for the week of January 25, 2016



Welcome back!


PARENTS! I would love to find out which of my students and parents are following along on our class blog! Please ask your child to solve this riddle, bring me the answer in class and you will be given a special prize! 

Riddle:

What has a face and two hands but no arms or legs?


  • Quote of the Week: "None of us is as smart as all of us."
  • Life Skill of the Week: cooperation

What's that I hear?

One of the things I added to our classroom is an iPod to listen to music while we work. I had the kids each write down one request of either an artist or a song. I thought their requests were too cute so I had to share!




Kindergarten CogAT Testing for HA

Next week begins the month of February which means I'll be screening all kindergarten students for High Ability Services for the 2016-2017 school year. Looks like the grade most affected by testing will be my first graders.  We get the best results when we test in the morning and that happens to be when I see my first grade groups. Come March it will be screening all of second grade for High Ability Services for the 2016-2017 school year, so flexible scheduling will continue . . . 


First Grade Math:

The first graders were great super sleuths helping to solve our Math Mysteries at the 3rd Strike Sports Store.  Jessica was the first to solve the puzzle, great job! We also practiced math facts on iPod's! This was a huge hit! Soon the app "Rocket Math" will be downloaded for all of us to do together. I encourage you to download it on your devices at home to practice, it's a lot of fun! Next week we will work on a clock/time lesson!




First Grade LA:

We read the book Yo Yes!.  Emmersynn worked hard on a no spaces cipher, a reading analyzer, read poems about the period, question mark, explanation mark and the comma. Emmersynn also drew a great picture in her workbook about a connection she has with a friend, she picked Sloane. Next week we will read a new book called, The Fantastic 5 & 10 Cent Store by J. Patrick Lewis! I can't wait to read who she interviewed for her homework! I'll make sure I get a picture of her next week, she always wears the cutest matching bows with her outfits!


Third Grade Math:

We started off by taking another multiplication timed test.  This week several kids passed, you'll have to ask if your child got to glue a scoop onto their ice cream cone! This group is so determined and work very hard to improve each week. They formed different groups to solve their latest packet on the Magic of Multiplication. When there were finished, they got to play math games on the iPod's or do an extreme dot-to-dot! I'll do my best to snap some pictures of them next week!

   

Third Grade LA:

This week we talked about the Edmund Fitzgerald. We first read the lyrics, then talked about the events. We watched a You Tube video showing what it looked like and opinions on what happened. The kids started coloring a picture of what the ship would have looked like. They are doing a great job! We will finish up this lesson next week.









 

Second Grade Math:

We finished up our lesson packet on Binary Sequence. This was a hard packet but the kids paired up and worked great together to solve the problems, great teamwork! When the kids were finished, they got to use iPod's to practice math facts or they worked on an extreme dot-2-dot worksheet which is always fun! Next week we will begin a lesson packet on Patterns in Multiplication. I'll do my best to snap some pictures of them next week!
  
Second Grade LA:

Nate and Emma volunteered to read a chapters 11-13 in the book The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. Then I asked them to write in their journal about what they thought about Edward's journey, what made it miraculous?  Their answers were great, I love how they think! They even asked me questions about what I thought too, I'm excited about writing back and forth with them! Next week we will continue to read and journal. I'll do my best to snap some pictures of them next week!

Fourth Grade Math:
It's now to the point in our fraction unit where they have all different operations for dealing with fractions.  Does it need to be an improper fraction?  Mixed number?  Do the denominators need to be the same?  How do I multiply a fraction by a whole number?  How do I add/subtract fractions?  Our latest worksheet called, Double Trouble for Mrs. Jarka, had them doing most of the above.  They were required to double and triple the recipe.  When comparing fractions, they needed to add or subtract.  I am so impressed with the work they are doing in there.  I've seen some proud moments they've had with their results.  They know this is tough and they are completely stepping up to the plate!  Keep up the great work! When they finished their packets, they got to practice math facts on an iPod or do an extreme dot-2-dot. Next week we will begin a lesson on persuasive writing in their math journals. 




Fourth Grade LA:

They are hard to work on their biography projects, we got the COW delivered both days and they are really good at using Google Docs.  I'm very proud at how hard they are working on these.  I hung their timelines and all grades are enjoying reading them.  As you know, with it being such a large project that we only work on twice a week . . . it's taking a long time!  They have great attitudes and are really putting their all into making sure their presentations look their best.  I'll do my best to snap some pictures of them next week!