Wednesday, November 23, 2016




THANKFUL FOR THEM!!
As you may have guessed I only had half my classes with our short week, but I have a message for ALL of my parents. I wanted to let you know how thankful I am for your children. I could not have asked for better students my first year!! Each one has taught me different strategies in teaching, listening and learning. Thank you parents for sharing your amazing children with me!
Happy Thanksgiving and safe travels!!

1st Grade LA
We Sang the Song!!!: We practiced our Pig Latin song and tried REALLY HARD to sing along with the video. They were awesome! We also worked on more writing and translating English into Pig Latin, then sharing to the class. We used our connection homework from a few weeks ago for this lesson. We wrote our connection in English then translated into Pig Latin. Once everyone had completed the writing, they stood in front of the class individually and shared their connection speaking in Pig Latin. Everyone in the audience needed to figure out what they said. It was a lot of fun!! They also shared what they were thankful for in Pig Latin. First grade was thankful for their: og-day, isiter-say, other-bray, am-Say, amily-fay, and am-hay.



2nd Grade MA
Eggciting Measurements:  This week we were measuring eggs, plastic ones, the real ones come later……yikes!! We are continuing our lesson on circumference and the appropriate tools to measure it with accuracy. Together we estimated then measured the length and width of a large egg with centimeter cubes, a ruler, a pipe cleaner and a tape measure. We discussed how and why our estimates should be getting better with each trial. We figured out with each trial we used a more accurate way to measure. The students where then assigned a partner and did the same activity with a smaller egg. We will discuss our finding next week!!!








3rd Grade LA
Definitions and Change: Third grade made definition booklets and wrote in their journals. The definition booklets were hysterical!! The premise, staple 2 large pieces of construction paper together with 5 almost equal flaps, when opened, one can read the definition of the story genre written on the front flap. Directions were given and an example hung on the board…… Let’s just say, some clearly had vacation on the mind because this was a bit of a struggle. After having to make a few alterations, we all had a booklet with the genre written on the outside and definitions with examples written on the inside. We’ll call that a short week success!! Tuesday, we wrote in our journals about the concept of change, our ongoing theme throughout the year. They needed to tell me how our genre definitions reflect change and how the stories we’ve read lately show change. This will be my bedtime reading over the long weekend.


4th Grade LA
*Shout out to my 4th grade boys who always remind me to take blog photos at the beginning of class, unfortunately I forget until the end. This week a couple of girls were the only ones left. Next week boys, I promise!!*

Bio Project Continued: I have shared with the students through their Google Drive the following files; change maker instructions (these are the guidelines for the project), a due date timeline (tells the  students when each part of the project is due), biography timeline (they’ll use as an outline for the timeline part of the project), biography summery (they’ll use this as the back bone for their monologue, it needs to be FULL of information from ALL their sources), and a work cited sheet (a very basic work sited sheet, just info on the resources they’ve used and where they got their images). They have all made copies of the files I have shared with them. They have also made a “bio HA project” folder and shared it to me. This allows me to check their work as they go along. They are able to do the “paper work” part of this project on their chrome books OR on printed worksheets. The students can type on the copied files and work on them as they read, if they choose to. I have reminded them they need to be reading their 3 (or more) sources at home and I will give class time for the other work. As long as they have their Google login name and password, they are able to access this project form any computer with internet. If your child was here this week, they should have already showed me 2-3 sources on their changer maker, it was due MONDAY. If they missed this week, they MUST show me next Monday.  As always, PLEASE contact me if you have ANY questions!!!! I know if you are unfamiliar with Google Drive some of the “copying, sharing files and folder” terms may sound confusing.