Friday, September 16, 2016

~FANTASTIC FRIDAY~ 

OUR FIRST WEEK!!!!  What an exciting week!! I loved getting to introduce myself and meet the students!! I have a feeling it is going to be an awesome year!!

Language Arts
Our first day for ALL Language Arts HA classes were about introductions and the classroom set up. I introduced myself with a power point; the students were able to see my children, interests, and classroom procedures. I only have them for 30 minutes, organization is key to how productive we can be make our time.   The students went around and introduced themselves and what their favorite summer activity was. There were some exciting places traveled over the summer!!!
After our first day of introductions we read The Leader In Me themed books and did a classroom activity on the importance of being PROACTIVE.

1st Grade LA:
Our story:  “The Little Engine That Could”  by: Watty Piper,  was read and we discussed how our attitudes affect our behaviors. If we go in with a “think I can” attitude we are more likely to try harder!! The students were given different examples of situations and asked how we could give proactive answers.  One example was, “I don’t know what word this is in my book….” . My amazing first graders gave proactive responses like, “sound it out” or “ask someone for help”.

2nd Grade LA:
Our story:  “Tops and Bottoms” by: Janet Stevens was read and we discussed how taking control of our situation and making ‘proactive’ decisions helps us be more prepared. As a class we gave samples of how we are proactive every day, like packing up our book bags the night before so we don’t forget anything for school the next morning.  All the children gave some great examples!!!


3rd   and 4th Grade LA:
3rd and 4th grade did the same story and activity. Our story was “Soda Pop Head” by: Julia Cook, very fitting for both grade levels!!  This story hit on the idea that we CAN NOT always control our situations but we CAN control the way we respond to them. Our activity was to walk around the room and search for posted situations and decide if they were PROACTIVE or REACTIVE.








MATH:
Our first day was introductions; some of the kids are really getting to know me!! However, in order for me to get better with remembering names, I wasn’t doing so well after the first two days, we played a ball game so I could learn names better and find out fun facts about the students.
Because some of my students are in High Ability for LA and MA I had to change up the second day lesson plans so my returning students didn’t have to sit through the same book. ALL of my HA math classes watched a video about rocks. I promise, it had a Leader In Me lesson involved!!  Our video helped us to see the importance of putting ‘First Things First' our “big rocks”.  It showed the students, by putting the important things first, like family, homework, or taking care of pets, we still have time for fun little things like playing Pokémon Go or watching TV, but they don't take up ALL of our time. Our activity was to label and decorate a “big rock” in our life. We had some amazing examples; family, homework, eating healthy, sleep and sports

Next week we will start our Language Arts and Math curriculum!! I am super excited to get the ball rolling and watch these amazing kids shine!!